Thursday, February 13, 2003

Pitt Student Only White Person On Bus


CAS junior Aaron Rodgers made a startling revelation last Friday evening as he rode the 71C home from an off-campus fraternity party. As the bus turned onto Highland Avenue, Rodgers shrugged off his alcohol-induced haze to realize he was the lone Caucasian on the bus.

“At first, I thought I was seeing things,” Rodgers recalled of his harrowing ordeal. “I thought, ‘There is no way this could be happening in Shadyside.’”

While Rodgers was frightened at first, he gained his composure and began plotting his escape.

“I surveyed his situation, deciding the bus driver was not likely to open the center doors at this time of night,” said Rodgers. “I knew if I pulled the cord too far from my stop, one of the riders could follow me. Then, I thought, ‘Of course, the bus driver!’ I moved closer, and to my dismay, discovered he was not of my skin persuasion either,” continued Rodgers.

It was at this point Rodgers realized he was trapped. “I knew I’d have to wait the two blocks till my stop,” said Rodgers.

Miraculously, Rodgers made it those two blocks and was not stabbed, beaten, shot, or mugged as he exited the bus and entered his Highland Avenue apartment.

No comments: